Monday, April 6, 2009

Dear Derby Diary

So big weekend-, which really started of Wednesday of last week. While driving my boys to school I noticed a dead whale floating by the pier. This I thought could be a sign. I don’t know what kind of sign. but one of those hmmmm moments.
Wednesday night I went to see part of one of my favorite bands Cracker- at Moe's alley- It was a great night, great show- and ended with David Lowery showing me a picture that he took of the same dead whale earlier that morning. ..hmmm. Now I have met both David Lowery and Johnny Hickman before- many times- but they never seem to remember me. I always have funny stories of when we had met prior to Wednesday night but- they do not share these same memories.
But that’s ok. I'm a rock and roll girl. Always have been. I love the music and have such a deep appreciation for a good song. Cracker has many. I have no desire to be a groupie or a stalker, I just really love the music and admire the guys that sing and play them. Speaking of which, Johnny freaking Hickman plays the guitar like no other. He is so fun to watch and sometimes the things he does to that guitar can make a girl blush. Just saying. And adding David Lowery poetry to the mix- well...it's magic.
Having said that- I once again had the pleasure of hanging out with them at breakfast on Thursday morning- (which I had done many years ago in San Francisco but they do not remember... whatever rock stars...lol) but this time-it was like hanging out with old friends. I loved hearing about their families, and hearing David's stories. It was nice. When we skated away I was thinking how cool that was, not weird or akward. Made me smile all day.
Then Thursday night was all about Derby. Going over line up's and getting ready for the big bout on Saturday.
Friday came and I decided to go see the Cracker duo once again, they were playing in Monterey. I figured what the hell. And even though the place was small and it felt really strange to be sitting watching a Cracker show - which I could only do for one song anyway before I was up dancing against the wall- wondering what kind of people sit and watch shows anyway- They played a great set, and it was worth the trip to come out again.
SO Saturday -
We have our before bout breakfast bonding- go downtown on a 2 hour looking for the perfect tights hunt. Which was unsuccessful. Come home to find that my dog has hives and rush him to the vet. Who knew dog could get hives. Not me. Spend an hour there- then rush home just in time to get ready for the bout.
Now my nerves are getting to me. Shammy picks me up like she always does. We are wearing our new sparkle pink and black booty shorts- looking bettielicious. Stop for the required Jamba Juice. And before you know it- I am skating out in front of a sold out 1500 fan crowd at the Civic-and play one of the best personal game I have ever played. It felt great. My team came together- and after a hard battle - we were victorious. Awesome.
I get on Facebook last night- and David Lowery has posted that he is going to SFO- to ONT- I comment on that saying (meaning him and his band) to come back to Santa Cruz soon. And as face book does, it informs you when others comment on the same thing and somebody else had posted so I go back to David’s page, and my post was deleted.
I can’t figure it out. I have to say, it’s totally bugs me. I am totally obsessing on it. Why would he or somebody else delete my post. Was it an accident? Was it on purpose? I'll never know.
And it's making my crazy.
Today, I hear about the whale, and how they towed it off to deeper water, but it kept coming back, and later ended up on a beach.
And I thought about that- and how it applied to my weekend- a dead whale that looked so sad and beautiful, and even with all of the efforts to tow it away, it still ended back here in Santa Cruz on the beach. I was thinking these two things. Am I the whale in the Cracker story? The girl that keeps coming back and wont go away. Not realizing that I am a pest. Or is it that once you come to Santa Cruz –even if you leave- you will always find your way back to beach.
I would like to think that latter- but maybe it’s a little of both.

2 comments:

  1. Fan of Cracker!?!?!?
    Wanna do an album review?
    hit me up at bruce@slgmusicus.com and i'll get you a promo copy and some other goodies.
    Great blog you got here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note- I later found out my post being deleted was a mistake..
    (It's so fun to live in my paranoid self absorbed brain sometimes)

    ReplyDelete